⁃ Unsalted butter
⁃ spoon to stir
⁃ Container ( to store)
⁃ Handkerchief / cheese clothe
Prep time : 20 minutes
Amount spent : 750
Cut your butter into cubes ( this helps it melt easily and evenly)
Pour into a pot, set on medium heat and leave to melt.
After the butter must have melted, you would notice foam would start to form on the surface.
Reduce the heat to the lowest you can and leave it to simmer.
After a minute or two , you will notice that the foams will be replaced with bubbles, revealing a
golden liquid below and reddish particles around and beneath your pot.
As the bubbles get bigger, you notice foams starts to form the second time.
Once the second foam forms, turn of your burner and let the substance cool.
Cover your sieve with and handkerchief and put your sieve over your container.
Pour the golden liquid over the sieve and your ghee is ready for use.
- make sure you use an iron sieve
- you can filter a second time if you are not satisfied with the first.
- store in a refrigerator ( it can stay for months if stored properly)
- the reddish brown stuff that's left on your cheese cloth / handkerchief should be discarded.
- remember to stir from time to time if you are not using a non stick pot.
There you have it ! I hope you enjoy making yours like I did and did I mention that it smells DIVINE... The whole house smelt "delicious".
Your questions and feedback
Are highly appreciated
See you in the comment section.